Wayne County MI Homes & Real Estate
Wayne County is the most populous county in the state and is part of the Detroit metropolitan area. Detroit, the largest city in Michigan, serves as the county seat of Wayne County. As of the 2020 United States Census, the population was over 1.7 million people. It is historically associated with the automotive industry, and Detroit, in particular, is often referred to as the "Motor City." While the automotive sector remains significant, the county has a diverse economy that includes manufacturing, healthcare, education, and various service industries. Wayne County is known for its cultural institutions and entertainment options. Detroit, in particular, has a rich musical history and has roots in Jazz, Blues, Soul, R&B, EDM, Techno, Hip-Hop, and Rock. Berry Gordy Jr founded Motown Records in Detroit in 1959. The “Queen of Soul”, Aretha Franklin, started in Detroit. It’s also often considered the birthplace of techno music. Hart Plaza hosts the Movement Electronic Musical Festival every year. The city is home to Iggy Pop, The Stooges, MC5, The White Stripes, and The Detroit Cobras to name a few rock bands. Its rich jazz history is celebrated every year during Jazz Fest. Eminem, D12, Royce da 5’9”, and Big Sean rep the rap and hip-hop scene. The diverse musical landscape of Detroit reflects the city's cultural richness and its historical role in shaping the American music scene. The city continues to be a vibrant hub for musical innovation and creativity across various genres. The city also boasts numerous museums, theaters, and sports venues, including the Detroit Institute of Arts, Fox Theatre, Little Caesars Arena (home of the Detroit Pistons and the Detroit Redwings), Ford Field (home of the Detroit Lions), and Comerica Park (home of the Detroit Tigers). The county is a hub of transportation in the region. You can navigate the city on foot but also utilize the People Mover - an above-ground monorail or the QLINE - a modern streetcar system. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) is a major international airport located in the western part of the county. Additionally, the county is intersected by several major highways and is a crucial transportation link in the Midwest. Wayne County has historical significance, especially in relation to the automotive industry and the growth of Detroit during the 20th century. The county has witnessed various social and economic changes over the years. On just about every block of Detroit, you’ll find urban renewal efforts and ongoing revitalization and redevelopment.
There’s more to Wayne County than Detroit. It is home to several cities and municipalities. Here are some of the cities within Wayne County:
- Dearborn: Known for its rich automotive history and home to the Ford Motor Company, Dearborn has a diverse population and is the birthplace of Henry Ford.
- Livonia: Livonia is a suburb of Detroit and is known for its residential neighborhoods and commercial areas.
- Westland: Located to the west of Detroit, Westland is a city with a mix of residential and commercial developments.
- Taylor: Taylor is a city in the southern part of Wayne County, known for its community-oriented atmosphere.
- Canton: Part of the Detroit metropolitan area, Canton is a growing community with a mix of residential, commercial, and recreational areas.
- Wyandotte: Situated along the Detroit River, Wyandotte is known for its waterfront and historic neighborhoods.
- Dearborn Heights: This city is adjacent to Dearborn and offers a mix of residential and commercial areas.
- Lincoln Park: Located in the Downriver area, Lincoln Park is a suburban city with a mix of residential and industrial zones.
- Southgate: Southgate is another Downriver community known for its residential neighborhoods and local amenities.
- Redford Township: While technically a township, Redford is often considered part of the larger Detroit metropolitan area and is known for its suburban character.
Included below are homes for sale and real estate in Wayne County, MI.
If you would like more information on any of these Wayne County real estate listings, just click on a property to access the full details. From there, you can request more information or schedule a tour. We'd be happy to provide you with disclosures, past sales history, dates and prices of properties that have recently sold nearby, and more, so just let us know how we can help!
And, for your convenience, feel free to register for a free account to receive email alerts whenever new Wayne County listings come on the market that match your specific criteria.